Soulology of the Tamils that Brings Unity in the world Society
Section – A
1) Science and Religion:
“Science without religion is Lame;
Religion without science is blind.”
says Einstein. According to him, Religion without Science and Science without Religion are imperfect.
Scientific and logical analysis in understanding the essence of religions of the world is highly indispensable.
2). ‘Soulology’ – The study on ‘Soul’:
So far, in the world, at large, it is widely accepted that
1). The study that pertains to material body is known as ‘Science’.
2). The study that pertains to life is known as ‘Philosophy’ and
3). The study that pertains to God is known as ‘Theology’.
All these three dimensions will not be meaningful unless and until a study on ‘Soul’, the root cause for the sixth sense of human being who formed the said three thoughts, is developed.
4). The study that pertains to Soul is known as ‘Soulology’.
All the living beings from one sense to five senses have two entities alone i.e., Body and Life, but human beings alone have third entity called ‘Soul’ which differentiates human beings from other creatures. The study on ‘soul’, cause of the sixth sense, is known as ‘Soulology’.
3). Historical background of the emergence of Soulology of the Tamils:
There are only two classical languages in India, Tamil and Sanskrit. Historical research has shown that of the two, Sanskrit was never a spoken language of the common people, but a literary language of the scholars alone. Sanskrit means ‘the one that is refined’. It was formed by Vedantists to propogate Vedantic concept. Hence we cannot see the natural developments taking place throughout the ages in Sanskrit, as we see it in natural languages. The literature in Tamil, a language of the common people as well as of the scholars are Ancient Sangam literature (Classical Tamil Literature), Medieval literature and Later literature. The natural developments are seen only in spoken languages from time immemorial. Development of ‘Soulology’ can be clearly understood from Classical Tamil Literature through the ages.
In the pre –Christ era there were two religions in India viz. Jainism, an atheistic religion and Buddhism, an agnostic religion. In these religions there is no room for the concept of God. In the post – Christ era, that is, after the mission of St.Thomas in India, one witnesses drastic changes in Indian worships and religions. Monotheistic concept was introduced in India and the bhakthi movement originated in Tamil land and the religions of the Bhakthi Movement such as Saivism and Vaishnavism started developing.
While in the rest of the world, atheistic philosophies are seen, we do not see atheistic religions anywhere else in the world except in India.Hence, there had been a doctrinal conflict between atheistic religions such as Jainism and Buddhism and the theistic religions such as Saivism and Vaishnavism that is Hindu Religion. Due to these ideological conflicts, there was a tendency to go beyond religious structures and traditions based on faith, which led to analyze the fundamental rudiments of all the major religions of the world such as 1.Body 2.Life 3. Soul 4.God and 5. Egotism, in logical and scientific methods, in Tamil land. Thus, as a result of these ideological conflicts, one witnesses the growth and profound development of Soulology in Tamil and Sivagnanapotham stands as an incomparable book on Soulology.
4). Three – Five – Seven Major Factors:
It is difficult to understand ‘Soulology’ with a knowledge of one particular religion alone.It is hard to understand ‘Soulology’ with a knowledge on a particular religion alone. But more comprehensive knowledge on
2. Agnostic and
3. Theistic religions of the world
is indispensable to understand Soulology.
5). Three entities:
‘Soulology’ elucidates the following three basic entities of the world religions.
- Human being and
6). Five entities:
These three entities are the essence of the following five major factors of the religions of the world.
4. God and
7). Seven entities:
These five entities are in turn the brief explanation of the seven entities such as,
Human Being God
1. Individual Body 2. Universal Body
3. Individual Life 4. Universal Life
5. Individual Soul 6. Universal Soul and
Thus Fundamental entities of the world religions are explained systematically in Soulology.
Section – B
Development of Soulology in Classical Tamil:
1. Major two classifications of living beings in Classical Tamil:
Classical Tamil grammar divides all beings, animate and inanimate into two categories namely ‘Uyarthinai’ (nouns of superior generic class i.e., living being with ‘Soul’ – human being) and ‘Agrinai’ ( nouns of inferior generic class i.e., animate and inanimate (without soul)). Thus, interestingly the distinguishing factor used here is the soul; those endowed with souls (human only) belong to ‘Vuyarthinai’ (higher category) and the rest fall in the ‘Agrinai’ (inferior category). This kind of distinction is unique to Tamil culture and Tamil language.
2. Unique grammatical explanation in Tamil:
Generally all the languages of the world have four rudiments as follows:
1) Grammar for Phoneme, 2) Grammar for Semantics, 3) Grammar for Prosody and
4) Grammar for Rhetorical Embellishment
Unique feature of Tamil language is the fifth rudiment i.e.,
5) Grammar for Thematic structure of human life
Systematic grammatical explanation for ‘Porulh’ i.e., theme or subject matter that pertains to the lifestyle of the people. It had been grammatically classified as
(1) Subjective Sense that relates to the theme of human love / divine love (‘Agap porulh’)
(2) Objective Sense that relates to the theme of war, bravery etc., (‘Purap porulh’)
In ‘Agapporulh’ (Subjective sense) of theistic religions, Individual soul experiencing supreme bliss with Universal Soul (God) is explained beautifully in Tamil.
3. Living beings in six classifications:
The study on Soul is developed sharply and systematically in grammatical form and that too in the form of aphorism in Tamil and this is the uniqueness of Tamil language.
The Tamil Grammar classifies the living beings into six categories.
1. Single Sense organisms – Organisms that can only feel the touch. They have body alone i.e. Trees, Shrubs, Plants
2. Two Sense organisms – Organisms that have the ability to taste along with the feel of touch (They have mouth in addition to body) i.e. Earthworm
3. Three sense organisms – Organisms that have the sense to smell along with the sense to taste and feel (They have nose in addition to body and mouth). i.e. Ant
4. Four Sense Organisms – Organisms that have the sense of vision along with the other senses mentioned above (They have eye in addition to the body, mouth and nose) i.e. Crab
5. Five Sense Organisms – Organisms that have the sense to hear in addition to the senses mentioned above. (They have ear in addition) i.e. Animals, Birds
6. Six Sense Organisms – Organisms that have the sense to rationalize in addition to all the above mentioned senses i.e. Human Beings
Thus in Classical Tamil, living beings are classified into six categories on the basis of ‘senses’. The human being alone has ‘sixth sense’ and cause of sixth sense is known as ‘Soul’ which is entirely different from Spirit / Life.
Section – C
Life and Soul
1. Functions of a Life:
Life controls the functioning of the various organs of the body and saves it from getting destroyed. Life controls various ‘natural instinct’ mechanisms like
- Digestion of food
- Mixing up the digested food with the blood
- Purifying blood
- Sending the purified blood throughout the body
- Disposing unwanted elements as waste
- Through ‘Natural Instinct’ protects the body
Once ‘Life’ leaves the body all those activities come to an end and the body starts getting decomposed. Hence, we can distinguish a body that has life and a body that doesn’t have life.
An indepth knowledge on the differences between life and soul, is essential for bringing unity in the world society.
2. Sixth Sense:
Human being is able to understand the following facts because of sixth sense:
• In- animate things do not have any sense
• Living beings vary from having one to five senses
• Human beings who alone possess the sixth sense
• Fundamental reasons for the functioning of the sixth sense.
3. Human Being:
An analysis of ‘human being’ reveals the following basic components ,
- The ‘Body’ of the human being
- The ‘Life’ of the human Being
- The ‘Soul’ of the human being.
4. Knowledge – Wisdom:
Knowledge is entirely different from Wisdom. Both are not the same. Knowledge is obtained through five senses i.e. Body, Mouth, Nose, Eyes and Ears whereas ‘Wisdom’ is obtained through the sixth sense. Of all the Living organisms, human being alone has the sixth sense and can acquire ‘Wisdom’.
5. Life and Soul:
Life and soul are not the same but they are two different entities.
1. All living beings have life.
2. Life is basis for the functioning of five senses
3. Life is the root cause for Natural Instinct based on five senses
4. Helps one to aquire knowledge
5. Comprehends external light alone (from Universal body)
6. Keeps the body of the living being from decomposition
1. Soul is of the human being alone
2. Soul is basis for the functioning of sixth sense.
3. It is the root cause for rationalism
4. Belongs to wisdom
5. Comprehends the inner light also (from Universal Soul)
6. It is the root cause for the domain over other living beings
6. Darwin’s theory of Evolution and flaws in this theory :
Body of living being was analyzed in Darwin’s theory but the life was not recognized and analyzed. However, in the concept of cycle of birth, life is recognized.
In the theory of Evolution by Darwin, only the body of the organisms has been analyzed. It has no explanation or reference for the six evolutionary stages of life, which classifies the life from single sense organisms to six sense organisms.
Based on physical similarities between a monkey and a human being, Darwin theoretically proposed his hypothesis that human beings must have evolved from monkeys.
This Proposal of Darwin is just a guess – A speculative Hypothesis and not a scientific fact; perhaps if Darwin had researched and analyzed on the six evolutionary stages of life he would have clearly understood the differences between the monkey that has five senses and the human being who has six senses.
Furthermore it is noteworthy that the scientists who accepted Darwin’s Evolutionary theory as scientific have still not yet been able to arrive at a study and analysis about life. In other words, they do not have an answer to the following questions.
‘What is life?’
“If Living being is a combination of body and life,
1. When did the life unite with the body?
2. How did it get united?
3. Where does life go when it leaves the body?
According to Darwin’s Evolution theory ‘life’ emerged out of in-animate things that intermingled proportionately under specific conditions.If so, why have there been no successful experiments by any scientist so far that could engender a life by intermingling inanimate things proportionately in the specific atmosphere? If it is not possible and cannot be ratified scientifically, then how can it be said that the Evolution theory is scientific?
Rather it will be beneficial for science if scientists accept the fact and openly declare that ‘Human beings cannot create a new life by intermingling inanimate things’ and that ‘Origins of the living beings are still under research and the research is still incomplete.’.
7. Concept of Cycle of birth and the flaws in this theory:
Those who follow the principles of Cycle of birth believe that there is a continuity of life on earth even after ones death. They believe that their life is based on their good and evil deeds of their previous births. According to their belief, it is possible for a human being to be born as a tree and for a tree to be born as a man., based on their deeds of their present birth.
There are no answers in the Concept of cycle of birth for the following questions,
- How does the life of a human being get merged to a tree and how does a life of a tree get merged to a human being?
- When does this merge take place?
- Will this be compatible to the scientific truth?
- How did life occur first ?
- How did the body occur first?
- How did the first life get merged with the body?
- And if rebirth occurs based on the deeds of one’s previous birth, on what basis did the first birth occur since there could have been no previous birth.
Section – D
Soulology – A solution:
One’s actions are based on one’s thoughts;
One’s thoughts are based on one’s beliefs;
One’s beliefs are based on one’s principles;
One’s principles are based on one’s Religion / Spirituality.
The principles and teachings of Soulology are not specific for any particular religion or country or clan or language. Hence, Soulology is a bridge that unites all the world religions and it unites all the people of the world crossing all the barriers such as languages, religions, clans, countries etc.,
An analysis of the theistic and atheistic religions, in the perspective of Soulology will put an end to aversion and helps one to comprehend their fundamental rudiments, which promote humanity, unity, brotherhood, fraternity etc., and drive one’s thoughts towards solidarity.
Soulology is a solution to eradicate all the religious and communal conflicts that are taking place in the name of the religions.
1. Highlighting the vital field of Soulology, that illuminates the uniqueness of the human being among the creatures, which uproots discriminations and unites the people of various religions under “One Fold and One Shepherd”- “Onrae Kulam – Oruvanae Thevan”(One Community – One God) in Tamil.
2. Bringing a common understanding without destroying or belittling any particular religious tradition, that converges the society towards ‘Ultimate Reality’ through Soulology.
3. Disclosing the basic concepts of the world religions, such as Love, Sacrifice, Compassion, Concern for others which are in Soulology to promote Unity and Harmony in the world society.
4. Unveiling the basic tenets of the world religions through Soulology for restoring egalitarian society
5. Emancipating the society from religious, communal clashes and terrorism by highlighting the unifying factors, occurring in Soulology.
Awareness on the concept of Soul elucidates the following facts:
1. Universal Soul i.e.,God doesn’t belong to any particular religion.
2. Human being is a temple of God since each Individual Soul is part of Universal Soul.
3. All the human beings are brothers and sisters since there is no difference in Soul.
4. There will not be aversion towards other religions since Soulology is the essence of the world religions.
5. There is no room for any kind of discriminations in Soulology since human beings i.e., Individual souls are the upshot of Universal Soul.
6. Each Individual Soul reaches Universal Soul if it lives according to the Universal Constitution of Universal Soul.
Please see the attached table for understanding the worship and religions of India and the development of Soulology – through the ages.
Dr.M.Deivanayagam & Dr.D.Devakala
Origin of Racism and Casteism in the World Society